About In-kind Agreements

divorce peacemaking woody mosten
In some states, there are other ways to give child support besides direct monetary payment, though in most cases that is what the courts will decide is best. But for poor parents this may be too difficult a burden to pay. Also, there is no way to know for sure if child support payments are really going toward the children or not.

What some parents have decided to do instead is formulate an in-kind agreement. This lets one or both parents equate some sort of service to the children as a form of child support. For instance, one parent may agree to supply all of the school clothing, while the other supports activity fees. For parents that want to make the co-parenting relationship work, this can be an excellent way to find a sense of fairness.

However, it can also backfire badly especially if there are court-ordered child support payments already in effect. The parents will have to approach the court and renegotiate the legal agreement, and this can be tricky. Courts prefer to work with monetary rewards because they are quantifiable. Having a family lawyer work with both parties and present the case for accepting an in-kind arrangement may help smooth the way.

Do you feel that an in-kind arrangement may work better for you than financial payments? Discuss your ideas and the state of Washington law with an experienced Washington family law attorney. Elise Buie Family Law Group, PLLC is ready to help. Call our office today.


Subscribe to our newsletters

Subscribe to one or more of our newsletters, delivering meaningful insight on topics that matter to you and your family.
ebl home subscribe image


Latest Blog Posts

If you and your partner reside in Washington state and are unmarried, you each might qualify for the legal protections availed to you by law by classifying your relationship as a committed intimate relationship.

One of the greatest gifts you can give your family is to build an estate plan while you are alive and well. Estate planning allows you to formally communicate your wishes so they will not be up for interpretation by…

A co-executor can help facilitate the distribution of assets, minimize conflicts, and provide much-needed support to grieving families.

The law makes it easy for people to get out of bad marriages. Washington, like most states, acknowledges no-fault divorce. This means that if you want a court to dissolve your marriage, all you have to do is file for…

Washington state’s laws on non-marital relationships, including committed intimate relationships (CIRs), can be convoluted, especially in the absence of a cohabitation agreement. Given the ambiguity that exists for unmarried partners in Washington state, thinking about the future and what it could look like is more important than ever. This is especially true in terms of aging, incapacity, and death. Fortunately, you can address each of these issues in a comprehensive estate plan.

Prenups and postnups can strengthen a marriage, given how they require relationship partners to put their cards on the table for each other to see, offering transparency and peace of mind. Despite their similarities, there are a few significant differences between the two.

Child support is one of the most contentious issues in divorce cases where parties have minor children. Even though Washington state law uses the same complex mathematical formula to determine the amount of child support for each child, there is…

Family law and estate planning often intersect. This is particularly true when contemplating divorce, remarriage, or blending families.

At some point during your divorce case, friends and family members whose own marriages ended in divorce probably told you that it gets better, and it does. Of course, from your perspective, getting out of a bad marriage might be…

Co-parenting over a long distance when you are a non-residential parent does not have to equate to sacrificing involvement in your children’s lives. But it likely does mean you will have to make tweaks in your communication and parenting style to accommodate the new living arrangement.