Parents of minors need an estate plan

Parents of minors need an estate plan

Why Parents of Minor Children Need an Estate Plan 

Parents of minor children need to plan for the possibility they die before their children reach adulthood. Minors do not have the legal status or cognitive ability to make decisions about their care and finances so an adult must act for them. Two important concerns are who will care for and be the guardian of the children and who will manage the children’s assets.  In most cases, the same person(s) can fill the role of guardian and money manager. By planning ahead parents can have input on the choice of a surrogate decision-maker and how much control and oversight the surrogate has.

Parents may nominate a guardian for their children in their wills. Without prior planning, a court must appoint a conservator to manage assets for a minor. Since a conservator must report annually to the court and post a bond for the value of assets being managed, the child’s interests are well protected. However, conservatorships have ongoing administrative costs. Once the child turns eighteen, however, the conservator must deliver the assets to the child. Most parents do not want their children to have control over an inheritance at that age.

Fortunately, with basic estate planning, a conservatorship can be avoided.

Parents can dictate who will care for the children and who will manage the funds for the benefit of their children within their wills. This planning has options for the level of control the person has over the funds, either as custodian or trustee and allows you to decide at what age your children will receive their inheritance. 


Subscribe to our newsletters

Subscribe to one or more of our newsletters, delivering meaningful insight on topics that matter to you and your family.
ebl home subscribe image


Latest Blog Posts

If you and your partner reside in Washington state and are unmarried, you each might qualify for the legal protections availed to you by law by classifying your relationship as a committed intimate relationship.

One of the greatest gifts you can give your family is to build an estate plan while you are alive and well. Estate planning allows you to formally communicate your wishes so they will not be up for interpretation by…

A co-executor can help facilitate the distribution of assets, minimize conflicts, and provide much-needed support to grieving families.

The law makes it easy for people to get out of bad marriages. Washington, like most states, acknowledges no-fault divorce. This means that if you want a court to dissolve your marriage, all you have to do is file for…

Washington state’s laws on non-marital relationships, including committed intimate relationships (CIRs), can be convoluted, especially in the absence of a cohabitation agreement. Given the ambiguity that exists for unmarried partners in Washington state, thinking about the future and what it could look like is more important than ever. This is especially true in terms of aging, incapacity, and death. Fortunately, you can address each of these issues in a comprehensive estate plan.

Prenups and postnups can strengthen a marriage, given how they require relationship partners to put their cards on the table for each other to see, offering transparency and peace of mind. Despite their similarities, there are a few significant differences between the two.

Child support is one of the most contentious issues in divorce cases where parties have minor children. Even though Washington state law uses the same complex mathematical formula to determine the amount of child support for each child, there is…

Family law and estate planning often intersect. This is particularly true when contemplating divorce, remarriage, or blending families.

At some point during your divorce case, friends and family members whose own marriages ended in divorce probably told you that it gets better, and it does. Of course, from your perspective, getting out of a bad marriage might be…

Co-parenting over a long distance when you are a non-residential parent does not have to equate to sacrificing involvement in your children’s lives. But it likely does mean you will have to make tweaks in your communication and parenting style to accommodate the new living arrangement.