Residential Time and Child Support are Different Things

Residential Time and Child Support are Different Things

Divorce issues surrounding a child revolve around three major components: custody, child support, and residential time (sometimes called visitation in other states). A parent that has custody of the child means that the child will live with them and that they will be responsible for the child’s well-being. The parent who does not have custody still has a responsibility to the child though. That is usually met through paying money to the parent that has custody. This is called child support.

The parent that does not have custody may or may not have residential time. Residential time is an agreement between the parties and the court to allow the non-custodial parent to spend time with the child in person. Sometimes a parent who doesn’t have residential time may wonder if they still have to pay support since they are not being allowed to participate in the life of the child. They may even wonder if they can sign their parental rights away to another person. Such parents may desperately want to participate more fully in the life of their child, but feel they are unable to because of court orders or the wishes of the custodial parent.

Unfortunately, residential time and child support are two different things. Removing one doesn’t remove the other. Even if you have no visitation rights, you are still responsible for providing financial support if the court orders in. And vice versa too. A custodial parent wealthy enough to raise their child on their own may still allow residential time even if no support is being paid, an unusual circumstance but not unheard of.

Do you have questions about child support in the state of Washington? Do you fear you can’t meet your obligations or that your ex-spouse may be hiding income from you? Contact a family lawyer that can help. Call Elise Buie Family Law Group, PLLC.


Subscribe to our newsletters

Subscribe to one or more of our newsletters, delivering meaningful insight on topics that matter to you and your family.
ebl home subscribe image


Latest Blog Posts

An experienced Seattle estate planning attorney can provide understanding about what happens to debts after you die.

A Seattle family law attorney can help you move into the future with this comprehensive guide to your next steps following divorce.

A Seattle estate planning attorney can provide strategies for having a productive family meeting about estate planning.

Learn from an experienced Seattle family law attorney skills for how to divorce a narcissist in Washington state.

A Seattle estate planning attorney can help you draft a mental health advance care directive as part of your estate plan.

A Seattle family law attorney can help if you find you are in a situation where your ex is abusing your pet.

If you are an unmarried couple, a Seattle family law attorney can help you protect your partner through the use of wills and trusts.

A Seattle family law attorney can guide you with next steps should you discover that your spouse has been unfaithful.

An estate planning attorney can help you draft a will or designate some of your property as non-probate assets by creating various trusts.

Not sweating the small stuff is even more important during separation than it is at other times to have an amicable divorce.