What is a Title 13 Guradianship?

What is a Title 13 Guradianship?
There are several possible resolutions to a case when a child is removed from the home by CPS and a dependency action is initiated. The most familiar is reunification, i.e. the child goes back to the parent and the court dismisses the case. On the opposite end is the initiation of a termination case where the state seeks to terminate parental rights and make the child free for adoption. Many of those who are not very familiar with the child welfare system may view these as the only two possibilities. However, there are also Title 13 Guardianships, permanent custody orders (third-party custody), long-term foster care, and independent living.

Title 13 Guardianships in dependency cases are one of the main alternatives to reunification or termination. The guardian is given legal and physical custody of the child until he/she turns 18. Guardians have essentially the typical rights and duties as a parent. The dependency case is dismissed but parental rights are not terminated when a guardianship is established. Guardianship itself can be terminated by later petition if the court, among other things, is shown there has been a substantial change in circumstances such that ending the guardianship is in the child’s best interests. Most often the State does not start looking at a guardianship as a permanent plan until longer into the case and where timely reunification with the parents does not seem viable. Some parents who initially sought reunification may find a guardianship the preferable resolution where their initial case goals may not seem feasible but they still wish to preserve their parental rights. The statute governing Title 13 Guardianships can be found here.



Subscribe to our newsletters

Subscribe to one or more of our newsletters, delivering meaningful insight on topics that matter to you and your family.
ebl home subscribe image


Latest Blog Posts

Not sweating the small stuff is even more important during separation than it is at other times to have an amicable divorce.

Many people delay estate planning because facing sickness and death can be uncomfortable. However, preparation is necessary to have your wishes honored as you intend. With this in mind, consider the following suggestions to stay focused on these estate planning goals.

The thought of how to approach your partner for a divorce can be stressful, even if you believe they will take the news "well.” The upside is there are ways to communicate your intentions that can minimize the uncomfortable feelings you are experiencing while helping to make the conversation go more smoothly.

Probate in Washington state is relatively straightforward, especially with the guidance of a Seattle estate planning attorney at your side. Here is what you need to know.

Unsure where to begin gathering the foundation you need to go through the divorce process with confidence and well-prepared? Consider the following 10 tips to prepare for divorce.

Everyone who has anyone in their life needs an estate plan, even people who own little or no property.

A common question about legal fees is why they are so high. The following article details what is built into legal fees and explains their cost.

Gifting an estate plan is an act of love because an estate plan goes far beyond material possessions, addressing the emotional, practical, and long-term well-being of your loved ones.

Prenuptial agreements (also known as prenups) can play a pivotal role in safeguarding individual spousal rights in the event of divorce and can also strengthen a marriage.

Valentine’s Day can be tricky for single parents, maybe even you. Unpartnered, at least for the time being, you might not foresee your plans fitting into conventional images of the holiday. But that doesn’t have to be. Valentine’s Day, when you’re single, can be more than a day you need to survive. It can be a day to look forward to.