Woman Keeps Child from Husband for 25 Years

Woman Keeps Child from Husband for 25 Years

People sometimes do shocking things during a divorce trial, but sometimes they come out of very good reasons. In cases of abuse or molestation, a parent may do anything to keep themselves and their children state, including defying court orders.

One woman went so far as to change her and her daughter’s names and social security numbers after they fled. Unfortunately for the mother, the father did have court-ordered visitation rights and her claims that the father molested the child were never substantiated by police. She was able to hide herself and her daughter for 25 years before she was caught. If convicted, she faces up to 3 years in prison.

It is unknown whether authorities provided the father or the daughter information to reunite after so long. 

There are legal protections that can be put into place to help parents and children who are afraid of abuse and molestation, but they must be done properly. Speaking with a family law attorney can help you learn what your options are and what the consequences might be. Elise Buie Family Law Group, PLLC is here to help in troubling circumstances like these.

If you need family law advice, no matter what your situation is, contact our office immediately.


Subscribe to our newsletters

Subscribe to one or more of our newsletters, delivering meaningful insight on topics that matter to you and your family.
ebl home subscribe image


Latest Blog Posts

If you and your partner reside in Washington state and are unmarried, you each might qualify for the legal protections availed to you by law by classifying your relationship as a committed intimate relationship.

One of the greatest gifts you can give your family is to build an estate plan while you are alive and well. Estate planning allows you to formally communicate your wishes so they will not be up for interpretation by…

A co-executor can help facilitate the distribution of assets, minimize conflicts, and provide much-needed support to grieving families.

The law makes it easy for people to get out of bad marriages. Washington, like most states, acknowledges no-fault divorce. This means that if you want a court to dissolve your marriage, all you have to do is file for…

Washington state’s laws on non-marital relationships, including committed intimate relationships (CIRs), can be convoluted, especially in the absence of a cohabitation agreement. Given the ambiguity that exists for unmarried partners in Washington state, thinking about the future and what it could look like is more important than ever. This is especially true in terms of aging, incapacity, and death. Fortunately, you can address each of these issues in a comprehensive estate plan.

Prenups and postnups can strengthen a marriage, given how they require relationship partners to put their cards on the table for each other to see, offering transparency and peace of mind. Despite their similarities, there are a few significant differences between the two.

Child support is one of the most contentious issues in divorce cases where parties have minor children. Even though Washington state law uses the same complex mathematical formula to determine the amount of child support for each child, there is…

Family law and estate planning often intersect. This is particularly true when contemplating divorce, remarriage, or blending families.

At some point during your divorce case, friends and family members whose own marriages ended in divorce probably told you that it gets better, and it does. Of course, from your perspective, getting out of a bad marriage might be…

Co-parenting over a long distance when you are a non-residential parent does not have to equate to sacrificing involvement in your children’s lives. But it likely does mean you will have to make tweaks in your communication and parenting style to accommodate the new living arrangement.