Employer Caught Stealing Money from Child Support Payments

There are many stories about deadbeat parents who don’t pay their child support, but paying child support is more than just sending checks to your ex. There is actually a long chain of individuals that assist in the process. Employers are one important chain. Most of the child support in this country is garnished automatically off of payroll cheques. Employers are responsible for passing the funds along.

One man thought he was doing right by his children and paying on time, but after an audit he found out that his employer was secretly pocketing the money. He kept getting angry calls from his spouse asking about the money, but he thought it was just a backup at the attorney general’s office. His calculations showed a $28,000 discrepancy between what his payroll stubs said and what the state said he paid in child support over seven years. He was devastated.

When the employers were confronted, they initially agreed to pay but then never followed through. He quit the job. The Texas Office of the Attorney General has stated that they have paid the back child support.

If you ever discover a discrepancy between what your payroll stubs say and what the government says you have paid in child support, contact a family lawyer immediately as well as DCS. This is a very serious matter. If you live in the state of Washington, the lawyers to call are the ones at Elise Buie Family Law Group, PLLC.


Subscribe to our newsletters

Subscribe to one or more of our newsletters, delivering meaningful insight on topics that matter to you and your family.


Latest Blog Posts

Death is a part of life. Like taxes, there's no avoiding it. Also, like taxes, you may not like thinking or talking about the subject. However, if you think about death and how to handle your remains from a planning…

Every child deserves love, stability, and consistency. Is there a child in your life that you have considered adopting, perhaps because they are the child of your spouse or a child you are fostering? Perhaps there is an adult in…

The thought of losing your home or its contents in a disaster is a scary thought. Loss of life, destruction of irreplaceable items such as home movies, photos, and heirlooms make it unconscionable. But as we know in life, sometimes…

Spoiler alert: If you’re doing everything around the house (or at work) because you’re living (working) with a bunch of incompetent fools, or so they’ve led you to believe they are, you’re being manipulated. So pervasive is this phenomenon, there’s…

If you've created an estate plan, you've already spent a good deal of time thinking about what will happen to you if you become sick, incapacitated, or die, including where you will go (literally) when you die. After all, you don't want your…

If you're 18 or older and live in Washington State, you can legally change your name to anything you want as long as you're not doing so to commit fraud. For example, if your goal is to change your name to evade…

Your estate plan should ensure your special needs child experiences the best quality of life they can, that the assets upon which they will rely will last as long as possible during their lifetime, and that their eligibility for public services will be maximized. Learn more.

Popular culture is using the moniker "America's daughter" to describe Gabby Petito because she could've been any of our daughters. Learn how to talk to your daughter about the signs of domestic abuse.

When a couple decides to divorce, and one spouse is unable to support themselves, spousal support becomes a hot-button issue. Learn how to mitigate conflict and move forward.

To date, 676,000 people in the US have died from COVID-19, many parents of minor children. Without a will there is no instruction on who should care for them. Make your wishes known, learn how.