How Do I Start a Divorce in King County?

How Do I Start a Divorce in King County?

In order to file for divorce in King County you will need to file a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage. You can do this together, through an uncontested divorce by having your ex sign a joinder to your petition. However, if you do not agree on all the issues, you will be filing a contested divorce, where you each file separately. The legal reason for divorce is to end the marriage, to divide assets and liabilities, to award maintenance, and if there are children, to set up a parenting plan, custody issues, or child support. You also do not need to file for separation before filing for divorce, though there may be reasons for choosing to do so.

You can file for divorce in Washington if you live here, if your spouse lives here, if you/your spouse are a member of the armed forces stationed here and will remain so for the next 90 days. If the other party does not live in Washington, you still may be able to file in Washington if the responding party lives in, or used to live in Washington during the marriage or if one of your children was conceived here.

Washington is a “no-fault” state. That means that you won’t need to give the court any reason for the relationship breaking up (even if you might want to). All you will need to show is that irreconcilable differences exist in the relationship.

You, or your divorce attorney will file in the King County Superior Court with the necessary documents to begin your case. The person who files first will be the petitioner (they petition the court for the divorce) with the other spouse being deemed the respondent (they respond to the petition for divorce).

All of the forms for dissolution of marriage can be found on the King County Superior Court website here, but they can be confusing. If you have questions or concerns regarding filing for your divorce in the Greater Seattle Area, we suggest hiring an experienced family law attorney. Please contact Elise Buie Family Law Group, PLLC for a consultation. 


Subscribe to our newsletters

Subscribe to one or more of our newsletters, delivering meaningful insight on topics that matter to you and your family.
ebl home subscribe image


Latest Blog Posts

If you and your partner reside in Washington state and are unmarried, you each might qualify for the legal protections availed to you by law by classifying your relationship as a committed intimate relationship.

One of the greatest gifts you can give your family is to build an estate plan while you are alive and well. Estate planning allows you to formally communicate your wishes so they will not be up for interpretation by…

A co-executor can help facilitate the distribution of assets, minimize conflicts, and provide much-needed support to grieving families.

The law makes it easy for people to get out of bad marriages. Washington, like most states, acknowledges no-fault divorce. This means that if you want a court to dissolve your marriage, all you have to do is file for…

Washington state’s laws on non-marital relationships, including committed intimate relationships (CIRs), can be convoluted, especially in the absence of a cohabitation agreement. Given the ambiguity that exists for unmarried partners in Washington state, thinking about the future and what it could look like is more important than ever. This is especially true in terms of aging, incapacity, and death. Fortunately, you can address each of these issues in a comprehensive estate plan.

Prenups and postnups can strengthen a marriage, given how they require relationship partners to put their cards on the table for each other to see, offering transparency and peace of mind. Despite their similarities, there are a few significant differences between the two.

Child support is one of the most contentious issues in divorce cases where parties have minor children. Even though Washington state law uses the same complex mathematical formula to determine the amount of child support for each child, there is…

Family law and estate planning often intersect. This is particularly true when contemplating divorce, remarriage, or blending families.

At some point during your divorce case, friends and family members whose own marriages ended in divorce probably told you that it gets better, and it does. Of course, from your perspective, getting out of a bad marriage might be…

Co-parenting over a long distance when you are a non-residential parent does not have to equate to sacrificing involvement in your children’s lives. But it likely does mean you will have to make tweaks in your communication and parenting style to accommodate the new living arrangement.