Practical Guide to Grandparent Rights for Visitation in Washington


Wonderful grandparents can make an enormous impact in the lives of their grandchildren. Arguably, it is in the child’s best interest to have visitations with their grandparents, and the grandparents have an interest in maintaining their relationship with their grandchildren. The Washington Legislature believed this to be the case as well, and enacted a set of laws that created a process whereby a non-parent could petition the Washington Court for visitation.

These laws were overturned by the Supreme Court, finding that while grandparents have an interest and these visits may be in the best interest of the child, parents have a fundamental right to parent their child. Because of the higher level of parental right, the parent’s decision trumps even the best interest of the child in seeing their grandparent. What this means is that the court may have a difficult time enforcing visitations by grandparents. Often grandparents seek visitation where their child’s ex-spouse or partner has become the primary custodial parent, such that they cannot establish visits under their child’s visitation schedule.

For a grandparent seeking more than visitation, they may be able to establish rights over the child in Washington through a custody action. By speaking with a qualified family law attorney, they will be able to help you with the child custody process for gaining third-party custody on a temporary or permanent basis. A third-party custody action is an action with the court where a party, other than the custodial parents seeks to establish custody of the child; this is often a grandparent, aunt, uncle or friend who has taken on the role of parenting the child to the extent that they have become a “de facto” parent. Generally, Washington Courts require you to show that a parent is unfit or that placement with an otherwise fit parent would detrimentally affect the child’s growth and development. The standard can be very high, which is why it is so important to review your potential child custody rights with an experienced family law attorney.

Because we focus solely on family law, we understand the dynamics of child custody in Washington and can help guide you through the process. Please contact Elise Buie Family Law Group, PLLC for a consultation regarding your child custody and visitation issues. 


Subscribe to our newsletters

Subscribe to one or more of our newsletters, delivering meaningful insight on topics that matter to you and your family.
ebl home subscribe image


Latest Blog Posts

Not sweating the small stuff is even more important during separation than it is at other times to have an amicable divorce.

Many people delay estate planning because facing sickness and death can be uncomfortable. However, preparation is necessary to have your wishes honored as you intend. With this in mind, consider the following suggestions to stay focused on these estate planning goals.

The thought of how to approach your partner for a divorce can be stressful, even if you believe they will take the news "well.” The upside is there are ways to communicate your intentions that can minimize the uncomfortable feelings you are experiencing while helping to make the conversation go more smoothly.

Probate in Washington state is relatively straightforward, especially with the guidance of a Seattle estate planning attorney at your side. Here is what you need to know.

Unsure where to begin gathering the foundation you need to go through the divorce process with confidence and well-prepared? Consider the following 10 tips to prepare for divorce.

Everyone who has anyone in their life needs an estate plan, even people who own little or no property.

A common question about legal fees is why they are so high. The following article details what is built into legal fees and explains their cost.

Gifting an estate plan is an act of love because an estate plan goes far beyond material possessions, addressing the emotional, practical, and long-term well-being of your loved ones.

Prenuptial agreements (also known as prenups) can play a pivotal role in safeguarding individual spousal rights in the event of divorce and can also strengthen a marriage.

Valentine’s Day can be tricky for single parents, maybe even you. Unpartnered, at least for the time being, you might not foresee your plans fitting into conventional images of the holiday. But that doesn’t have to be. Valentine’s Day, when you’re single, can be more than a day you need to survive. It can be a day to look forward to.