Practical Guide to Step-Parent Adoption

Practical Guide to Step-Parent Adoption

You are ready to make that big step from being “Step Parent” to Parent, congratulations! 

Adopting your step child can be a big step in any family, and requires planning and forethought. By adopting your step child, you are given the same rights and obligations you would have if the child had been born to you. Here are some things you should know about step parent adoption in Washington:

Biological Parents: You will not be able to adopt if the other parent is still in the picture. The biological parent must either voluntarily relinquish their rights to the child, or have those rights terminated by the court.

What do I need to adopt: To adopt the child you will need to be over the age of 18, be competent, and have the backing of your spouse. If you are trying to seek rights to a child you have helped to raise and are currently divorcing the parent, call us to speak about de facto parentage.

What do I do? If the other biological parent agrees to relinquish their rights, or if you are able to have the other party’s rights terminated, you will file your Petition for Adoption and Petition for Termination of Parent-Child Relationship. In King and Snohomish Counties you will also go through a process to approve the adoption, this generally involves a home visit by a Social Worker.

What if the other party doesn’t consent: Involuntary termination of rights is possible, but may be difficult. DSHS or other licensed agencies may petition to have someone’s rights terminated, as can the prospective adoptive parent. Default is also very common in these scenarios. If the other party is served but fails to respond within 30 days, their rights may be terminated by default depending upon the circumstances of your case.

Washington State does not have mandatory forms for adoption, unlike other areas of family law, so you may wish to hire an experienced family law attorney to help you through the step-parent adoption process.  

Because we focus solely on family law, we understand the dynamics of child custody in Washington and can help guide you through. Please contact Elise Buie Family Law Group, PLLC for a consultation regarding your child custody and adoption issues


Subscribe to our newsletters

Subscribe to one or more of our newsletters, delivering meaningful insight on topics that matter to you and your family.
ebl home subscribe image


Latest Blog Posts

Unsure where to begin gathering the foundation you need to go through the divorce process with confidence and well-prepared? Consider the following 10 tips to prepare for divorce.

Everyone who has anyone in their life needs an estate plan, even people who own little or no property.

A common question about legal fees is why they are so high. The following article details what is built into legal fees and explains their cost.

Gifting an estate plan is an act of love because an estate plan goes far beyond material possessions, addressing the emotional, practical, and long-term well-being of your loved ones.

Prenuptial agreements (also known as prenups) can play a pivotal role in safeguarding individual spousal rights in the event of divorce and can also strengthen a marriage.

Valentine’s Day can be tricky for single parents, maybe even you. Unpartnered, at least for the time being, you might not foresee your plans fitting into conventional images of the holiday. But that doesn’t have to be. Valentine’s Day, when you’re single, can be more than a day you need to survive. It can be a day to look forward to.

Collaborative law has evolved into a globally practiced
discipline, extending well beyond the realm of family law, and is used frequently in Seattle divorces.

Classifying January as divorce month could be misleading, given how some of the numbers tell a different story. However, one thing remains clear: January is a great time for a fresh start.

A family law attorney can help with child custody (residential time) by creating or modifying a parenting plan.

Given the importance of the trustee’s role in an estate plan, it is necessary to understand the responsibilities before choosing a trustee or accepting the obligation to become one.