If you are like most couples, your home may be one of your major assets. It can often be difficult when going through divorce to face selling a home together with your ex. Here are some top tips to make your home sale during divorce go smoothly.
- All about the agent: Spent some time getting to know your agent. There can be a huge difference between the “budget” companies that charge a low commission and a truly involved agent through a respected agency. You and your spouse will be relying on this person for critical information and guidance through this process so choose someone you trust. We have worked with many divorcing couples through this process and may be able to help point you in the right direction.
- Keep your lawyers informed: Both parties’ attorneys need to be on board with any maintenance projects, remodels or updates. Many attorneys will be happy to work together regarding these, and understand that a few dollars spent upfront may bring larger return on investment. It is important that both attorneys and clients agree regarding the sale, and how the sale will be carried out.
- Have a plan: Before an offer comes in, the attorneys should have discussed what is or is not going to be acceptable. You don’t want to have to wait with a buyer hanging on the line; disputes regarding the sales price should be resolved as early as possible.
- Keep the home “happy”: New buyers need to imagine their own families in the home, and you don’t want any of the negativity surrounding divorce to influence your buyers. Make sure to avoid empty spaces (like an obviously empty closest, or missing furniture). Consider staging. Know yourself; if you feel sad about the selling process, it may be better if you stay away during the open house. Speak with your agent about how to make your home shine.
- Consider Contingencies: With the hot market in the Seattle area right now, you may be able to get creative about contingency options. You may be able to sell the home and remain there for several months, or rent it back to allow yourself additional time. Your real estate agent will be able to review your options and help you come up with a plan that works for you.
Because we focus solely on family law, we understand the dynamics and can help guide you through your divorce. Please contact Elise Buie Family Law Group, PLLC for a consultation regarding your divorce. For more information about collaborative divorce or mediation please visit our website.