You Can Be Arrested for not Paying Child Support

A father and daughter having fun at the beach

What happens when a deadbeat keeps avoiding their child support obligations? In some cases, quite a lot. Depending on the state, wages can be garnished, tax refunds withheld, or even an arrest can happen.

Pennsylvania is one of the states where arrests can happen. The Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office targeted 27 men in an overnight raid for failure to pay child support. Between them, the men owed a little over $400,000 in support for 41 children. The raid only managed to nab seven of them targeted men. According to the police, they perform these raids monthly to get deadbeats to pay up.

Quoting the article:

“We do these regular raids, but we are picking up domestic relations and criminal defendants and fugitives all of the time,” said Montgomery County Sheriff Russell Bono. “Our Warrants Division has been extremely busy over the past year.”

In Washington, it is possible for this to happen if an Order to Show Cause to show is ignored and it had a warning about an arrest warrant (section 26.18.050 part 3.) If your ex-partner has failed to pay and is brought before the court, it may be possible for you to tell the judge what that lack of support has done to the children. If your partner isn’t paying their obligation, contact Elise Buie Family Law Group, PLLC. We will help you decide what to do next.


Subscribe to our newsletters

Subscribe to one or more of our newsletters, delivering meaningful insight on topics that matter to you and your family.
ebl home subscribe image


Latest Blog Posts

If you and your partner reside in Washington state and are unmarried, you each might qualify for the legal protections availed to you by law by classifying your relationship as a committed intimate relationship.

One of the greatest gifts you can give your family is to build an estate plan while you are alive and well. Estate planning allows you to formally communicate your wishes so they will not be up for interpretation by…

A co-executor can help facilitate the distribution of assets, minimize conflicts, and provide much-needed support to grieving families.

The law makes it easy for people to get out of bad marriages. Washington, like most states, acknowledges no-fault divorce. This means that if you want a court to dissolve your marriage, all you have to do is file for…

Washington state’s laws on non-marital relationships, including committed intimate relationships (CIRs), can be convoluted, especially in the absence of a cohabitation agreement. Given the ambiguity that exists for unmarried partners in Washington state, thinking about the future and what it could look like is more important than ever. This is especially true in terms of aging, incapacity, and death. Fortunately, you can address each of these issues in a comprehensive estate plan.

Prenups and postnups can strengthen a marriage, given how they require relationship partners to put their cards on the table for each other to see, offering transparency and peace of mind. Despite their similarities, there are a few significant differences between the two.

Child support is one of the most contentious issues in divorce cases where parties have minor children. Even though Washington state law uses the same complex mathematical formula to determine the amount of child support for each child, there is…

Family law and estate planning often intersect. This is particularly true when contemplating divorce, remarriage, or blending families.

At some point during your divorce case, friends and family members whose own marriages ended in divorce probably told you that it gets better, and it does. Of course, from your perspective, getting out of a bad marriage might be…

Co-parenting over a long distance when you are a non-residential parent does not have to equate to sacrificing involvement in your children’s lives. But it likely does mean you will have to make tweaks in your communication and parenting style to accommodate the new living arrangement.