What to do if you stop Receiving Child Support Payments

Crisis in Child Welfare

If your ex-spouse is honorable, they will comply with court orders for child support payments as best as they can. However, if they cannot or will not comply, the Division of Child Support has several options to enforce them to pay.

The Division of Child Support is responsible for providing child support assistance for both payers and recipients. They provide several services to the public. For instance, if one of the parties disappears they are responsible for finding them. If there is question about parentage, they can provide paternity testing. And they’re also responsible for establishing, modifying, and enforcing child support obligations.

When someone doesn’t pay their child support, their overdue payments go into arrears. When this happens, there are a lot of legal tools that DCS can use to get that payment and punish the individual. Monetarily, they can directly take money from wages, tax returns, unemployment, worker’s compensation, lawsuit settlements, bank accounts, and even some pensions. They can also file liens against houses and vehicles, or seize property kept in safe deposit boxes or placed up for auction. They can also make it much more difficult for a parent to leave the area. They can prevent passport renewals or suspend licenses. They can report delinquent child support payments to crediting agencies as well.

For more information about DCS or if you need to contact an official, click on this link. If you wish to seek advice before pursuing DCS enforcement of a child support order, speak with our lawyers. 

https://mainpageebflg.wpengine.com/contact-us.We can help.


Subscribe to our newsletters

Subscribe to one or more of our newsletters, delivering meaningful insight on topics that matter to you and your family.
ebl home subscribe image


Latest Blog Posts

Unsure where to begin gathering the foundation you need to go through the divorce process with confidence and well-prepared? Consider the following 10 tips to prepare for divorce.

Everyone who has anyone in their life needs an estate plan, even people who own little or no property.

A common question about legal fees is why they are so high. The following article details what is built into legal fees and explains their cost.

Gifting an estate plan is an act of love because an estate plan goes far beyond material possessions, addressing the emotional, practical, and long-term well-being of your loved ones.

Prenuptial agreements (also known as prenups) can play a pivotal role in safeguarding individual spousal rights in the event of divorce and can also strengthen a marriage.

Valentine’s Day can be tricky for single parents, maybe even you. Unpartnered, at least for the time being, you might not foresee your plans fitting into conventional images of the holiday. But that doesn’t have to be. Valentine’s Day, when you’re single, can be more than a day you need to survive. It can be a day to look forward to.

Collaborative law has evolved into a globally practiced
discipline, extending well beyond the realm of family law, and is used frequently in Seattle divorces.

Classifying January as divorce month could be misleading, given how some of the numbers tell a different story. However, one thing remains clear: January is a great time for a fresh start.

A family law attorney can help with child custody (residential time) by creating or modifying a parenting plan.

Given the importance of the trustee’s role in an estate plan, it is necessary to understand the responsibilities before choosing a trustee or accepting the obligation to become one.